7 Surprising Fall Hazards Inside Your Home: Get Help With a Reverse Mortgage in The Villages, Florida
7 Surprising Fall Hazards Inside Your Home
By Bob Gersh , Reverse Mortgage Specialist with iReverse Home Loans
Ever tripped over a cord or slipped on clutter? It just takes a little thing to send you reeling. But an innocent tumble can have hazardous consequences with age, like a hip fracture. So now’s the time to smooth out your paths.
Think your home is already safe? Let’s see! Here are seven surprising fall hazards you may not have thought about.
- Throw rugs. They’re nice to look at, until they cause a slip. Toss them, or add nonslip backing.
- Door sills. Remove them if they’re higher than half an inch, advises the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons.
- Bar soap. Drop it on the floor, and you may find yourself down there too. Mount a liquid soap dispenser.
- Pets. Always know where they are, or put a small bell on them.
- Certain shoes. Sure, stilettos aren’t a good idea, but worn soles and a poor fit may cause a fall too, says the American Geriatrics Society. Also stay away from slip-ons and bare feet. Look for shoes with laces or buckles and a good amount of surface area. Women, if you can’t find athletic shoes that are wide enough, head over to the mens section, advises the AAOS.
- Insufficient lighting. Aging eyes need more light. Make sure everything’s well lit and the light switches are easy to access (including at the top and bottom of the stairs). Put a light by your bed, and illuminate the path to your bathroom with nightlights.
- Glare. Too much light can assault your vision too. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends hanging lightweight curtains or shades and lighting a room uniformly.
If you’re 62 or older and need to make home improvements, such as lighting changes or minor construction, areverse mortgage can help you pay for them. To learn about more ways to avoid falls, check out my previous article “9 Steps to Preventing Falls: More Than Home Design.” For more information about a Reverse Mortgage in The Villages, Florida, call 800-486-8786 ext 813. Disclaimer: This post is not meant as individual advice. See your doctor for personal recommendations.